Wednesday 16 February 2011

Oli Thompson- I'm going to Win the title!


Fight Lounge- Feb 2011
Just weeks away from his biggest fight to date, Oli Thompson took some time out of his busy schedule to talk to The Fight Lounge about his excitement in challenging the Ultimate Challenge heavyweight champion Ben Smith for his belt.
In just three short years, Oli Thompson has made huge strides from being “Britain’s Strongest Man” to start training in mixed martial arts to being ranked inside the top five UK heavyweights on the domestic scene. On March 26th [Oli] attempts to prise the belt from Ben Smith’s waist at Ultimate Challenge: Lights Out.
“I’ve been watching Ben’s career since I first started MMA.” Oli told us. “I have a lot of respect for him and his abilities, I just feel I’m bringing a lot more to the table. A lot more than he has faced before in the past.”
“I have a power and strength advantage over him, but I also feel I have better hands, better wrestling and a speed advantage too. On March 26th, I’m going to win the title!”
Not only has Oli Thompson been training at the ZT Fight Skool with Sol Gilbert and First Generation Jiu-Jitsu in preparation for Smith, he has also been seen at another world famous gym.
“I’ve been at the Wolfslair to train with Mike (Bisping), Tom (Blackledge), Rob (Broughton), Ricco (Rodriguez) and the rest of the guys there. They have helped me, and although I don’t feel I have had enough time there to improve my technique, it has certainly helped build my confidence to be able to mix it up with those fighters. Fighters who compete  at a higher level than I do right now.”            
Oli has actually faced Rob Broughton in the past, a fight he lost via decision.
“I learned a lot from that loss, it was a great tear up. Rob is a great guy, and  it’s good to see him in the UFC now and being successful. Following in his footsteps is definitely a goal for me, and if I keep getting my wins, maybe it will happen.”
Obviously the title fight at Ultimate Challenge takes main priority, but if he where to beat Ben Smith and become the UCMMA champion does Oli recognise potential challengers in the future?
“Well, I’m not looking past March 26th and Ben Smith, but I do hope every fight from now on will be my biggest. I only want tough challenges. There is Mark Potter who is doing well, if he continues to win he could be a challenger.” Thompson continues, “I would like to fight Stav Economou somewhere down the line. We where supposed to fight in the past.”
A fight that some fans have been crying out for is a bout between Oli Thompson and Marius Pudzianowski. Would Oli take it if offered?
“(laughs) I’d love too. That would be a huge fight for me and a big payday! Marius is a good guy, but I would definitely take that fight in a heartbeat!”
“I’d like to thank First Generation Jiu-Jitsu, Combat Ready Training, ZT Fight Skool, I am Senshi and Cherry Active. Oh and I agree, Dave O’Donnell beat Ben Smith in the press-up competition.”
So, there we have it. A huge heavyweight fight coming up at Ultimate Challenge: Lights Out. Can Thompson become the new champion or will Ben Smith defend his title?
Tickets available now at http://www.ucmma.com/
by Mike Clarke- Fight Lounge.

No comments:

Post a Comment